Keto snacks are the most satiating option for a weight loss program. Any weight loss regime doesn’t mean you are immune to hunger crushes or low energy levels. On the contrary, you experience more fatigue and cravings- in many cases, you end up with a mouthful of unhealthy carbs to satisfy your food cravings.
That is why a Keto diet is considered best when your will power is low and helps you meet your weight loss goals without compromising on energy. Keto snacks are considered filling that they end up making you consume fewer calories throughout the day, and fewer meals too.
How do you choose the perfect keto snack for you? We categorize them in 3
- Low-Calorie snacks
- Fat-Based snacks
- Fat + Protein-based snacks
Ready to-Eat Low-Calorie Keto Snacks
These snacks will render a guilt-free indulgence into delightful foods- are delicious, snacky, yet low-fat.
- Bone Broth: Bone broth makes for an excellent option when you are on a diet. Moreover, it has enough health benefits that make it a comforting food option among dieters and non-dieters alike.
- Tea/Coffee: Apart from being a good source of stimulants and mood-uplifters, these beverages help suppress hunger bouts, and have zero calories. Ideally, you can skip the milk/cream in your cup, but if you wish to add fat, whip some sugar-free cream on top of your beverage.
- Soured Pickles: When on a diet, you experience sugar, spicy, or sour food cravings. Pickles can help satiate your tangy food cravings! You can also have pickle juice, which is packed with minerals and other health benefits.
- Pretzels & Cheetos: Could you ever resist them? So why should you now! Pretzels are low-carbs and low-fat snacks and are perfect for those mini bites or get-togethers.
Bone Broth Recipe
3-4 kg beef marrow and knuckle bones
2 kgs meaty bones such as short ribs
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3 celery stalks, halved
3 carrots, halved
3 onions, quartered
- Place the bones along with apple cider vinegar, and let the mixture settle for approximately 3 hours.
- Now add 2 cups of water and vinegar to this and bring it to a boil.
- Add vegetables to this and let it simmer for approximately 30 hours.
- Once done, add some salt and fresh parsley leaves for garnishing.
The broth can be refrigerated. You can store it for up to 7-8 days.
Ready-to-Eat Fat-Based Keto Snacks
When hunger gets the better of you, a handful or a munch of the crunchy fat-based snacks will leave you feeling fuller!
- Avocados: This thick and pulpy fruit can be added as a snack to your diet when you choose to compromise on protein and add in more fats. Toss in some mayonnaise, or cheese, sprinkle some salt, and paprikas for a perfect fulfilling snack. You can also add in some nachos for a crunchy delight.
- Macadamia Nuts: These nuts are packed with minimal omega 6 fats and high amounts of monounsaturated fats- unlike other nuts. However, the only drawback is the portion control. Opt for small packages and raw nuts for a portion and fat check.
- Dark Chocolate: Made with 78% cacao, this sinful indulgence can give your cognitive process a boost too. Choose to have it plain or melt it on fruits or chips as a topping or dip.
- Pepperoni Slices: Pepperoni slices are highly processed. Thus you can opt for organic ones without any preservatives. You can have them with dips when hunger strikes at those odd hours.
Choco Bomb Recipe:
8 oz. cheese
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Combine cheese, peanut butter, coconut oil and salt in a bowl. Beat this until you get a smooth batter.
- Now place the bowl in the freezer for 20-25 mins.
- Now, using a scooped spoon, scoop out small-sized balls. When all done, place them together in the freezer.
- Mix cholate chips and coconut oil, and microwave until you get a melted consistency- approximately 30 seconds.
- Once done, drizzle this over the cheese and peanut balls and refrigerate for 10 mins.
Your perfect dark chocolate recipe for a quick nibble is ready!
Ready to Fat + Protein-Based Keto Snacks
These snacks are equally packed with a protein punch and fat and are a convenient way of satiating your taste pallets.
- Cheeses: Cheese can help you keep hunger pangs at bay for a longer period. You can try hard-cheeses like Cheddar, or Gouda or soft cheeses like Goat cheese. Use them as dips or have them along with pepperoni slices, or nuts.
- Peanut Butter: This is a common resort. Peanut butter has a perfect combination of fat and protein; however, ensure that its ingredients only include salt and peanuts. Any added sugars could, in fact, worsen your weight loss regime.
- Sardines: Canned sardines make for excellent on-the-go grabs! Essentially packed with protein and fat, they also contain other nutrients that support your dietary requirements.
- Chips: Ideally cheese chips, are renowned for being a favorite snack among keto dieters. They are crunchy, no-carbs foods that help satisfy your hunger pangs, and make for a fun, bite-sized snack.
Keto Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
5 oz. Blue cheese
½ cup mayonnaise
¾ cup Greek yogurt
½ cup whipping cream
salt and pepper
- Add cheese, mayonnaise, and yogurt to a big bowl and whip until you get a smooth batter.
- Allow this to sit for approximately 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop.
- Now add salt and some crushed pepper to this.
Have this as a dip or as a topping on fruits and even burgers!
Things to Consider:
- Keto diet indeed is healthy but could get a bit tricky. You could end up eating more than required. The key is to limit the portion size! Since keto snacks do include high amounts of fats too, this could mar the purpose of your diet.
- Avoid processed foods.
- Pick up keto snacks based on your protein and fat requirement.
Fortunately, there are many store-bought options that you could try from.
The first thing we lose when on a diet plan is our sanity- food deprivation or the long wait for the next meals often leads to one. Thus, more often than not, we sneak up on unhealthy meals/patterns and snacks. A perfect diet, according to me, should be a bulletproof plan that helps you retain sanity with a striking nutritional balance.
Keto snacks are a healthy way to keep yourself on track. They are crunchy, delicious, visually appealing, and can be used when on the move, and can be served with savory dips. Keto snacks are fun-filling, I say, and a creative food choice.